Meet Claire Hillmeyer
Meet Claire Hillmeyer, Project Manager and Forest Analyst at Steigerwaldt. Claire is responsible for supporting senior staff members with forestry analysis and inventory projects, vacant land appraisal, and project management. She leads inventory projects both in and out of state with a special focus on quality control and data organization.
Please provide a professional history introduction (prior and during your time at Steigerwaldt):
- I started at Steigerwaldt 6 years ago as a Staff Forester. Since then, I have developed my skills as a Forest Analyst. My main area of expertise is planning, installing, and following up with forest carbon projects for both the compliance and voluntary markets. Prior to working at Steigerwaldt, I had several seasonal jobs conducting plant surveys in the Midwest.
Why are you passionate about this field?
- I am passionate about this field, because I get a lot of satisfaction from implementing projects that help keep forests on the landscape and help keep forests healthy for generations to enjoy.
How do you serve our clients?
- I serve our clients by being a contact point and bridge between the client and field staff. When we are working on an inventory or conducting an analysis for a client, I communicate with the client and share the relevant information with the rest of our awesome team. I also work diligently to make sure all products and datasets are accurate and complete for submission to our clients.
Why do you enjoy working at Steigerwaldt?
- I enjoy working here, because I get to travel the country and install plots. I enjoy learning and experiencing forestry in different parts of the country and seeing areas I might not otherwise get to see.
What industry changes are you most excited about?
- I am excited about all the new opportunities landowners have to enroll in carbon programs.
What’s your favorite tree and why?
- Tamarack! It looks fuzzy in the summer and turns a wonderful gold in the fall.
What’s your favorite National Park?
- Olympic National Park
What do you enjoy doing outside of work?
- In my free time, I like to sew my own clothes, quilt, and occasionally knit!