Meet James Budiac
Meet James Budiac, Steigerwaldt’s Environmental Assistant and Staff Forester. James is responsible for assisting in all aspects of Steigerwaldt’s Environmental Department, including wetland delineation, best management practice monitoring, invasive species management, and environmental consulting. His focus is in Ecosystem Restoration and Management – specializing in forest inventory, ecological monitoring, plant identification, and ecosystem restoration management practices. She best serves our clients by having a great understanding of ecological concepts that are applicable to wetland delineations and timber sale establishment.
Please provide a professional history introduction (prior and during your time at Steigerwaldt):
- I am a graduate of UW-Stevens Point with a major in Forestry – Ecosystem Restoration and Management. I have held a variety of environmental-focused positions in ecological restoration and botanical data collection in both the Midwest and West Coast. I’ve also spent time working various seasonal positions with contracts in Antarctica at McMurdo Station. Prior to my time at Steigerwaldt, I’ve worked as a botanist for the National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON) in both Wisconsin and Alaska as well as with the U.S. Forest Service in Oregon where I conducted rare and invasive plant surveys.
Why are you passionate about this field?
- I am passionate about this field of work because it often brings me to a place of serenity and beauty. I also enjoy being a steward and assisting others in the proper stewardship of our lands.
Why do you enjoy working at Steigerwaldt?
- Steigerwaldt has brought me on to help expand their environmental department and while I know that I have a skillset to help move this goal forward, this experience has allowed me to learn so much in a short amount of time.
What’s your favorite tree and why?
- Eastern Hemlock because a stand of these with large trees brings me back to the West Coast.
What would you do with 10 acres?
- Convert it into a hobby farm.
What is your favorite outdoor activity?
- Mountain biking and snowboarding.