Meet Mike Delegan
Meet Mike Delegan, one of Steigerwaldt’s Project Foresters. Mike is responsible for all aspects of timber sale setup and administration, accounting, mapping, marketing contracting, and database management on ownership types across the spectrum from institutional to private and public land bases. He brings professionalism, active listening, and a can-do attitude to the table.
Please provide a professional history introduction (prior and during your time at Steigerwaldt):
- I worked seasonally for 4 seasons while completing my degrees in Forest Management and Urban Forestry. First, working with the state of Nebraska performing FIA (forest inventory & analysis sampling), then the US- Forest Service (USFS) in Western Colorado for the following 3 seasons as a timber crew member. I consulted with a small private company in NW Wisconsin for 3 years, before moving back west to work in the private forest industry (integrated, contracting, & consulting) in Oregon, Washington, Idaho & California for the following 5 1/2 years. I’ve been with Steigerwaldt for about a year and a half, serving the private and institutional investment clients.
Why are you passionate about this field?
- Helping clients of all sizes achieve their land management goals.
Why do you enjoy working at Steigerwaldt?
- Variability and diversity
Since you’ve worked here, how has the industry changed?
- Dynamic market conditions
What industry changes are you most excited about?
- Emerging technologies and workforce adaptation.
What would you do with 10 acres?
- Figure out the best way to manage it.
What’s your favorite National Park?
- Crater Lake
What is your favorite outdoor activity?
- Mountain biking and spending time outdoors with his family.