Meet Derek Schummer
Meet Derek Schummer, Project Forester at Steigerwaldt. He is responsible for all aspects of timber sale setup and administration on a variety of timber types for a variety of clients including non-industrial private landowners, investment companies, and government agencies. Derek also assists on timber inventory projects nationwide by providing logistical planning as well as performing fieldwork.
- I graduated from UW – Stevens Point in December 2012 with a degree in Forest Management and a minor in Geographic Information Systems (GIS). After graduating, I spent some time working in a local warehouse before joining the Steigerwaldt team in August of 2014.
- For as long as I can remember I have had a love and appreciation for the outdoors. From camping in the summers to fishing, hunting, hiking, and even sports, I’ve just always loved being outside, so being able to work outdoors is huge for me!
- I serve our clients by helping them meet their management objectives. This can include a large range of goals from timber marking/harvesting, wildlife management, MFL plans, timber inventory, road/trail maintenance – anything to do with land management, we can help with!
- I really enjoy the variety of different projects I get to be a part of, the team focus and atmosphere, and the flexibility offered.
- I think a big change is the incorporation of new technology and field equipment that can improve processes and the way we gather/collect data.
- I really love technology, specifically drones, and am looking forward to ways we can incorporate that into the field of forestry.
- Redwood National Park
- I would start a small hobby farm!
- I always love going back to northern MN.