Meet Derek Schummer
Meet Derek Schummer, Project Forester at Steigerwaldt. He is responsible for all aspects of timber sale setup and administration on a variety of timber types for a variety of clients including non-industrial private landowners, investment companies, and government agencies. Derek also assists on timber inventory projects nationwide by providing logistical planning as well as performing fieldwork.
Please provide a professional history introduction (prior and during your time at Steigerwaldt):
- I graduated from UW – Stevens Point in December 2012 with a degree in Forest Management and a minor in Geographic Information Systems (GIS). After graduating, I spent some time working in a local warehouse before joining the Steigerwaldt team in August of 2014.
Why are you passionate about this field?
- For as long as I can remember I have had a love and appreciation for the outdoors. From camping in the summers to fishing, hunting, hiking, and even sports, I’ve just always loved being outside, so being able to work outdoors is huge for me!
How do you serve our clients?
- I serve our clients by helping them meet their management objectives. This can include a large range of goals from timber marking/harvesting, wildlife management, MFL plans, timber inventory, road/trail maintenance – anything to do with land management, we can help with!
Why do you enjoy working at Steigerwaldt?
- I really enjoy the variety of different projects I get to be a part of, the team focus and atmosphere, and the flexibility offered.
Since you’ve worked here, how has the industry changed?
- I think a big change is the incorporation of new technology and field equipment that can improve processes and the way we gather/collect data.
What industry changes are you most excited about?
- I really love technology, specifically drones, and am looking forward to ways we can incorporate that into the field of forestry.
What’s your favorite National Park?
- Redwood National Park
What would you do with 10 acres?
- I would start a small hobby farm!
Where do you like to go on vacation?
- I always love going back to northern MN.